Mission of the Education Unit
Learn. Challenge. Empower. Transform.
Belief Statements for the Education Unit
The College of Education of Doane University is a community that pursues and celebrates excellence. In this pursuit:
- We foster a vibrant intellectual community that values learning, collaboration, curiosity, inquiry and scholarship.
- We create connections and meaningful relationships.
- We cultivate a culture where all individuals are affirmed, challenged, and empowered.
- We advocate for diversity, equity and service through the support of socially just policies and practices.
- We promote the process of development and honor the journey that is individually and systemically transformative.
Guiding Principles for the Undergraduate Program in Education
- The teacher education programs utilize historical, philosophical and practical knowledge as the foundation for understanding educational purposes and values.
- All teacher education students have a strong foundation in pedagogical knowledge, skills, and dispositions. Emphasis is placed on learning content in context through collaboration and reflection.
- The teacher education faculty engages key stakeholders in intentional processes and reflection on data and practices that lead to continuous improvement of the programs.
The teacher education programs design and revise certification areas based on current theory, research, applied practice, state and national requirements and program review.
The teacher education programs provide leadership opportunities for students to engage in meaningful dialogue and experiences concerning issues of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- The teacher education program makes intentional its commitment to the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion by encouraging all stakeholders in continual growth and reflection. This is evident in the growth of personal and professional understanding and practical application in all aspects of teaching and learning.
- The teacher education faculty and pre-service and in-service teachers engage in meaningful exploration and dialogue about the world of practice to enhance contextual understanding.
- The teacher education faculty utilizes authentic forms of assessment, including performance assessment, and traditional forms of assessment to evaluate students and programs.
- All early childhood, elementary, ESL, middle school, secondary and special education pre-service teachers demonstrate competency in their respective academic areas and complete practica in their certification area(s).
- The teacher education programs integrate practicums and internships throughout the student experience designed to participate in the real world of teaching. Simultaneously and with intentionality, students analyze local and global issues through on campus course work designed to intersect with the varied real world experiences of Pre K-12 students, families and communities.
- The teacher education programs pledge the competence of their program completers to the employing school. This pledge assures that beginning teachers enter the professional work force with adequate knowledge, skills and dispositions to successfully fulfill responsibilities of the teaching profession or the teacher education programs will provide in-service education for the graduate.
- The teacher education program continues to support program completers through their first year of teaching with mentoring efforts in the schools, along with optional guided seminar sessions.